Computers for Each Student 2018 – 1:1 Program
From 2018 all students at the College will need to have a computer as a basic tool of learning. Our aim is to make this as easy as possible for you. Parents of students entering Year 7 require a device that will last them until at least the end of Year 10. Students entering Year 10 are likely to have to upgrade their device.
Parents can chose to either provide the device themselves (BYOD – Bring your own Device) or lease through the College.
Parents may decide to purchase a computer from another supplier. If this is the case then the following needs to be noted:
- Software is available for students but they will need to load the software themselves.
- Technician support is limited to only assisting students whilst they load the settings required to the College wireless network and internet access.
- The College technicians cannot fix software or hardware issues for these devices.
- Minimum specifications. (Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, battery life of more than 6 hours, running Windows 10 or greater or MacOS Sierra 10.12 or above)
Type of Device
Currently our preferred devices are:
- Recommended Computer: Lenovo Miix 510 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) for all Year 7 & 9 2018 students
- Alternative Choice: Apple MacBook Air 13" (Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) for Year 10 2018 students (only if they prefer MacOS instead of Windows)
The Lenovo Miix 510 is a suitable device for all student needs. It has a touch screen, a detachable keyboard to be used as a tablet and comes with a stylus - integrated into the curriculum in several areas in Year 7.
We are offering the Apple MacBook Air 13" for senior students that prefer this platform and can use a different device than that of their peers. No suitable Apple product comes with a touch screen, which is why they are not suitable for Year 7 students. If your child is doing Media at Year 10, they might like to consider the Apple MacBook Air 13" however it is not a requirement as the Lenovo Miix 510 is also suited for Media-based activities.